Last week I made one of the BFs favorite weeknight meals – stuffed peppers. I like my weeknight meals in 30 minutes or less and I found an amazingly quick recipe for it a few year back in a cooks illustrated magazine. It’s been in the weeknight dinner rotation ever since!
One key trick to making this dinner classic in less time than normal is to microwave the peppers for a few minutes in the microwave before cooking in the oven.
I’m a bit of a food snob. And, I refuse to use the microwave unless absolutely necessary.
In this case, however, microwaving the peppers is brilliant because it cuts the cooking time in half. I’m always in favor of methods that get food on my plate faster during the week.
4 – 5 green, yellow or red peppers with the stems removed and insides cleaned
3 peppers and 2 zucchini halved, and cleaned out, like a hollow zucchini canoe
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1lb ground turkey meat
2 spicy italian sausages, chopped small
1/3 cup of dry rice, cooked as needed. I use brown, ten minute rice from Trader Joe’s
Cheese to top.
- Preheat the Broiler
- Place the peppers or peppers and zucchini on top of a microwave safe plate and insert into the microwave. Cook on high for 3 – 4 minutes. Once complete, flip and cook again for 4 minutes. BE CAREFUL. The peppers will be hot and may have steam in them when you flip them over.
- While the peppers are being nuked, place the turkey, sausage, onion and garlic into the pan and cook until the onion is soft and the turkey is cooked through. Around 10 minutes.
- While the turkey mixture is cooking, cook the rice as necessary. I’ve also replaced the rice with faro from time to time and you hardly notice the difference.
- When the rice is cooked, add it to the turkey mixture. Add hot sauce to taste. I like a little more than 1 Tbsp.
- Spoon the meat into the peppers or zucchini and top with cheese.
- Stick in the broiler for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and browned.