Hi Kara! Um, an 11-minute climb? I mean, basically, you should be ready for Sandhill Road any day now. That sounds TERRIBLE to me. I’m such a cardio wuss.
Speaking of being a cardio wuss, the last three workouts I’ve had with J, she’s ended by doing an extra run. Clearly I am not wearing her out enough. My secret goal (shhhh) for next week is to make two workouts that are so brutal that she doesn’t want to run afterward. *evil grin*
Anyway, I didn’t get a chance to post Wednesday’s leg day before we did it, so here it is now. I am sore today still, so I think it was a good one. Also, I happened upon a new move that I thought you would appreciate. I’m sure you’ll be able to guess which one it is, below. 😉
First things first: 1 minute AMRAP.
Back squats with 55 lbs. I think I got to 28 reps. For the fitness challenge, I was definitely over 30. I’m planning to hit this AMRAP again this week (and maybe every week for awhile) just to make sure I’m making headway. I want to be able to power these out at this weight with no breaks. And then I’ll consider increasing the weight. Maybe.
Circuit 1 (repeat 3x)
- Butt Bridges (x10), then hold at the high position of the bridge and do:
- a 5-second hold with right leg extended straight, parallel to floor
- a 5-second hold with left leg extended straight, parallel to floor
- 5-seconds right
- 5 seconds left
- Walking Side Squats with Resistance Band (x10 each direction): wrap a resistance band around your thighs, just above your knees. Step to the right into a low squat. At the bottom of the squat, pulse your knees outward, stretching the band. Stand, bringing feet closer, but don’t let the band fall. And repeat 9 more times to the right. And then 10x to the left. See cartoon!
- Single Leg Deadlifts, holding two 12-lb dumbbells (x10 each side)
Circuit 2 (repeat 3x)
- Step Ups with Hop + Backward Lunge, two 12-lb dumbbells (x10 each side): With your right foot step up onto a high (1.5 ft?) step. Step up explosively, hopping as you get to the top. Let your left leg just come along for the ride. Then step off with your left leg, back onto the ground, and bring your right leg down too. Then step back with your right leg, into a backward lunge. The trick to not getting confused is that you step up with your right leg, and you step back with your right leg. SAME LEG. There is a little pause in the middle when you get off the step, before you step back into the lunge. Make sense?
- Wall Squats with Calf Raises (x20): Sit in a static wall squat, and do the calf raises while in the squat. Simple.
- Jack knives on body ball (x15)
- Tricep extensions, balanced on Bosu ball, 20-lb dumbbell (x15): with the Bosu round-side-down, balance your feet on the flat side with knees slightly bent/neutral. While balancing there, bring the dumbbell up over your head and perform the presses with the dumbbell going behind your head as you bend at the elbows.
That’s it! I am definitely a bit sore in the bum today. And also my triceps! 20-lbs was a great choice for weight on that move. So, did you guess the “Kara’s gonna like this one” exercise? Obviously you did.
Good luck meeting your work deadline this week! Missing you lots. MASSAGES TOMORROWWWWWWW YESSSSS!